Spicy Red Chili Kimchi
Savory umami, tang and spice, we love the flavor, versatility and health benefits of kimchi. Eat as is, over rice, in stews or even in a Bloody Mary cocktail.
Watch full video recipe.
JAR SIZE: 64 oz wide mouth x 2
FERMENTATION TIME: 1-7 days
- 1 large Napa cabbage, rough chopped
- 1/2 bunch red radish, thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium, onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves, garlic, peeled
- 1 inch, ginger, peeled
- 1 large or 2 small, fresh red chili, de-seeded, minced
- 2 tablespoons Korean red chili powder
- As needed quality sea salt
- 1 tablespoon quality fish sauce
- Chop the cabbage and break apart into chunks then rinse and drain thoroughly.
- In a large mixing bowl rub sea salt into cabbage pieces, coating evenly, place into a container, cover with water. Make sure the cabbage is completely submerged for 4 hours to season.
- Prepare the vegetables in another mixing bowl. Combine sliced radishes, grated carrot, and slivered onion.
- Place garlic, ginger, chilies, chili powder and fish sauce into food processor. Make a paste that is smooth then add to the mixing bowl of vegetables using a rubber scraper and gloves.
- Massage the paste into the vegetables until evenly coated and lightly broken down. Cover and chill until cabbage is ready.
- Once cabbage is ready, drain cabbage reserving the salt water.
- With gloves squeeze out excess water from cabbage, add to the seasoned vegetables and combine until everything is evenly coated. Taste for seasoning. Mixture should be on the slightly salty side, if not add more sea salt.
- Pack the Kimchi mixture into two x 64 oz jars pressing the mix down tightly into the bottom of the jar, pressing out excess air. If the liquid in the mix does not cover the top of the vegetables use some of the reserved cabbage brine to submerge the mixture fully.
- Next make sure the mix stays submerged with fermentation weights.
- Get ready to use LidAdapt. Make sure jar rim is clean and dry, then place LidAdapt on jar and secure with metal band. Fill each fermentation airlock with water to fill line and insert fermentation airlock with bung into each LidAdapt. Place in a cool, dry place on a tray for 2 to 5 days.
- Check daily and when done to your liking, remove LidAdapt and cover with a fresh mason jar canning lid and firmly tighten jar band. Store in fridge.
Want to experiment with multiple recipes? Pick up our Fermentation Airlock and Bung 4-Pack!