Spicy Fermented Lentil Flatbread
with Mama Lil's Peppers
This gluten-free flatbread tastes like spicy pimento cheese and is super versatile - enjoy cracker thin for cheese plates or thicker for punchy sandwiches!
JAR SIZE: 32 oz wide mouth
FERMENTATION TIME: 3-5 days
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup Mama Lil’s Peppers
- 1-½ TB honey
- ¼ cup garlic peeled
- ½ TB cracked black pepper
- ½ TB pink sea salt
- ½ TB baking powder
- Place dried red lentils in 32 oz jar, fill with water to top, let sit overnight. If making a bigger batch, just use a large stock pot.
- Strain lentils, rinse with cold water
- In blender add: lentils, water, garlic, Mama Lil’s peppers, black pepper, salt. Blend till smooth.
- Pour batter into mason jar.
- Wipe jar lid clean/dry. Place LidAdapt on jar, screw on metal ring. Insert fermentation airlock bung and fill bung with water to fill line. Place in a cool, dry place on a tray for 3-5 days. I also recommend stirring mixture every couple days.
- Remove fermentation airlock/bung and LidAdapt. Add baking powder to jar and mix with wooden spoon.
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper + light drizzle olive oil. Pour lentil batter onto parchment, spread thin (about ¼" for flatbread, thinner if you want more of a cracker vibe) with non-stick spatula. Drizzle top with olive oil + sprinkle of sea salt & cracked black pepper. Bake 20-40 minutes depending on desired crispness. Invert flatbread onto another baking sheet, peel off parchment paper and invert one more time onto a wire drying rack to help cool/keep crisp.
Our spicy fermented lentil flatbread was a hit at First Taste Oregon event!