Bacon & Pecan Old Fashioned
with Bacon Infused Bourbon and Pecan Infused Simple Syrup
Sweet, smoky and just delightful. Enhance your old fashioned with bacon infused bourbon and pecan infused simple syrup.
Watch full recipe video.
Step 1: Bacon Infused Bourbon
JAR SIZE: 32 oz wide mouth
INFUSION TIME: 1 hour for heavy smoke or 2 hours for lighter smoke
- 12 oz (360ml) bourbon, mid-tier priced
- 4 slices smoked bacon, flavor of choice
- Lay bacon on baking sheet and bake at 350˚F/175˚C for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Reserve 2 pieces of bacon for garnish. Place 2 slices into jar.
- In a separate jar or glass container, pour warm bacon fat through cheesecloth. This should render 1-2 ounces of fat.
- Pour 1-2 ounces bacon fat into mason jar with the pieces of bacon and top with 12 ounces of bourbon.
- Wipe jar rim clean/dry, apply LidAdapt and screw on metal band, insert stopper & pump to pull vacuum seal. Next, release stopper valve & while holding your finger over the stopper, lightly turn the glass in a swirling action, to emulsify the bacon fat into the bourbon. This process is called fat washing. For best results vacuum pulse by releasing stopper valve, wash the bourbon over the fat, and re-vacuum seal a few times.
- After desired infusion time, place jar with LidAdapt and stopper still attached in freezer for one hour until the fat fully solidifies.
- Remove jar from freezer, remove stopper and strain bourbon through fine mesh sieve into a fresh mason jar reserving only the infused bourbon. Vacuum seal with LidAdapt + stopper + pump and store at room temperature.
Step 2: Pecan Infused Simple Syrup
JAR SIZE: 32 oz regular mouth
INFUSION TIME: 15-30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons (30 g) coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup (40 g) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (30 g) pecans, toasted
- 8 oz (240 ml) water
- Toast pecan pieces on a sheet pan in 350˚F/175˚C oven until fragrant and lightly browned (just a few minutes, watch so they don’t burn). Remove from oven, give rough chop and place in jar.
- Heat water and sugar in saucepan on medium high, whisking until combined. Remove from heat once all sugar is melted.
- Pour sugar water over nuts in mason jar.
- Get ready to use LidAdapt. Wipe jar rim clean/dry, apply LidAdapt on top of jar, screw on metal band, insert stopper & pump to pull a vacuum seal. Let stand 15-30 minutes. For best results vacuum pulse by releasing stopper valve, gently swirl mixture in jar, and re-vacuum seal a few times.
- Release stopper valve, remove LidAdapt and strain through cheesecloth or fine mesh sieve into a clean jar. Apply LidAdapt + liquid pour spout to serve. You can use LidAdapt to vacuum seal and store in fridge for up to two weeks.
Bacon & Pecan Old Fashioned
- 2 oz (60 ml) bacon infused bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoons infused pecan simple syrup
- 2 dashes lemon bitters
- 1 slice orange
- 1 cocktail cherry
- 1 pineapple wedge
- Muddle orange slice, bitters, and pecan simple syrup, crushing just the fruit of the orange not the rind.
- Top with ice and pour over infused bourbon.
- Garnish with cocktail cherry and slice of pineapple on the rim.
Build your own system with our Lids or try our curated Culinary Kits available in three jar sizes.